Rowing is a sport unlike anything you've ever experienced. Combining strength and endurance, power and grace, rowers are considered by many to be the world's greatest athletes. There is no experience required. PCR is looking for Philadelphia public high school students with the willpower and determination to win.
What is rowing?
- Rowing is the ultimate team sport. Athletes need to synchronize their body movements with others in the boat in order to keep the boat balanced.
- PCR focuses on “sweep” rowing, which means that each rower will hold one long oar with both hands. There are three different types of boats for sweep rowing: pairs, fours and eights.
- Rowers sit on a small moving seat facing the back of the boat, or the “stern,” and use the oar to propel the boat forward, or to the “bow.”
- Rowing is one of the oldest Olympic sports. Did you know that some of the world’s most famous Olympic rowers live and train here in Philadelphia?
Why YOU should join!
- Get in shape. Rowing is an intense cardio workout that builds strength in your upper and lower body.
- Be a part of a winning team. PCR is committed to providing all of our athletes with the coaching, equipment, and resources necessary to make this program competitive against any other team, locally or nationally.
- Rowing is one of the fastest-growing sports at the collegiate level. Keep your grades up, do well in rowing, and you may get recruited by a college coach and be eligible for a scholarship.
- Learn skills for life, such as self confidence, leadership, and time management. Most successful business people and public leaders participated in sports during high school, which gave them the mindset they needed to reach the top.